As a world-class venue for the performing arts, the Shubert Theatre will be the center of a thriving regional cultural scene. Through its community outreach and collaborations, the Shubert will be a leader in making New Haven a national model for the importance of the arts in communities.
CAPA/Shubert Theatre-New Haven brings the world to our legendary stage, enriches lives, and creates community through our mission to:
- Preserve the legacy of the historic Shubert Theatre in New Haven as an icon of the American theatre by operating and evolving our theatre as a world-class performing arts center
- Present international, national, and local programming of the highest quality, featuring renowned artists from all cultures and embracing all genres of the performing arts and the diversity of our local culture and community
- Educate, inspire, and build new and diverse audiences by offering education and outreach programs which integrate the arts into our community and by providing affordable access to live performances at our theatre
- Strengthen our arts communities through advocacy, partnership, collaboration, and mutual support
- Invigorate the local economy through the programming we present, the audiences we attract, and our support of the businesses in our community
The historic Shubert Theatre is a not-for profit arts, education, and community institution serving the people of Connecticut and in particular the City of New Haven. As a public resource, the Shubert presents a wide array of programs to a diverse community. The theater itself is the crown jewel of downtown New Haven. Opened in 1914 before "talkies," television, or rock concerts, the Shubert has just 1600 seats. It was built for the live theater experience: intimate, personal and immediate. While it now has a wide sparkling lobby, comfortable new seats and a state-of-the-art sound system, it is a real Broadway house, where the magic of theater, music and dance come alive. The Shubert, New Haven is operated by CAPA, a Connecticut Not-For-Profit Organization.