Become a Shubert Volunteer!
A Shubert volunteer is an individual who is committed to enriching lives within the broader community. Volunteers serve the Shubert by:
- Welcoming patrons to the theatre
- Ensuring the safety of people and the building
- Informing guests about the theater and staff to anything that might diminish the experience
- Guiding patrons to their seats as well as to building facilities
- Supporting the Shubert by spreading excitement about theater!
Shubert Theatre reserves ushering and other certain tasks for our volunteers, per our commitment to present high-quality theatre to the wider New Haven community and involve the community in the evolution of this historic theatre.
PLEASE NOTE: Fall Volunteer Applications are now closed - please check back in January when they reopen again.
How to become a Shubert Volunteer:
- Fill out our online application (see form below)
- Attend a mandatory orientation session
- Sign up for available events!
- A chance to see a wide variety of events
- Giving back to your community
- Annual Appreciation Event
- Certain waived fees on ticket purchases
- Reduced parking rates at the Crown Street and Temple Street garages during performances
- Meet others interested in the arts!
Qualities we look for in our volunteers:
Requirements and notes for our volunteers:
- Must be able to climb stairs
- Must be able to read small print on tickets
- May be required to stand for three to four hours
- Must be willing to work in a variety of positions
- Must be 14 years of age or older
- May not always be able to watch show from inside the theatre
- Will be required to stay until the end of the show and all patrons are cleared from your area
- Must attend an informational session
"My favorite part about volunteering at the Shubert is the fact that it helps me get out of my shell. I am a high school student and getting to be in this customer service type environment helps me talk to people, which hasn’t been my strong suit. I’ve gained more social skills and customer service skills all in one, and that is why I appreciate volunteering at the Shubert. The other volunteers and workers are also very kind and welcoming!" – Lyanna B.
"I love the energy, and enthusiasm on site, and the selection of shows is unmatchable!" – Debra C.
"I like volunteering at the Shubert because I love being able to welcome people in and see how excited they are. It is wonderful to see the smiles on people's faces as they leave the show." – Emelia L.
Current Volunteers: access the Volunteer Portal with this link: